Israeli man indicted over alleged contact with Iranian agent

Israeli man indicted over alleged contact with Iranian agent ... 13/07/2021 Military

Keywords:#2020, #Arab, #Benjamin_Netanyahu, #Haaretz, #Iran, #Iranian, #Iraqi, #Islamic, #Islamic_State, #Israel, #Israeli, #January, #Jewish, #Knesset, #Lebanese, #Netanyahu, #PhD, #Prime_Minister, #Rabbi, #SUV, #September, #Shin_Bet, #US, #Yaakub_Abu_al-Kiyan, #Yacoub_Abu_Al-Qiaan, #Yakub_Abu_al-Kiyan

Yaakub Abu al-Kiyan allegedly passed information about Defense Minister Benny Gantz to an Iraqi handler who was in contact with Iranian intel agents
Josh BreinerJul. 12, 2021
A well-known Israeli businessman was charged Monday with contact with a foreign agent and passing information to the enemy.
According to the charges, Yaakub Abu al-Kiyan passed on information regarding Defense Minister Benny Gantz to an Iraqi agent who was in contact with Iranian agents.
An Israeli Bedouin handed over sensitive information to Iranian intelligence officials recently, the Shin Bet revealed Monday.
The suspect in question, identified as Yakub Abu al-Kiyan, a Bedouin from the town of Hura in southern Israel, was arrested on June 10, after he allegedly illegally transferred information to Iran.
According to Israeli security officials, Abu al-Kiyan made the transfer via a Lebanese-Iraqi proxy.
Investigators found that Abu al-Kiyan – who has close ties to several prominent figures in Israel – was in contact with Khaider al-Mashhadani, an agent for Iran’s intelligence-gathering efforts. Abu al-Kiyan ran for the Knesset on former Defense Minister Moshe Yaalon’s Telem list, which later dropped out of the race.
While in contact with al-Mashhadani, Abu al-Kiyan is said to have kept Iran up to date on recent events in Israel.
The two were also reportedly involved in joint business ventures.
Though Abu al-Kiyan was initially unaware that al-Mashhadani was working on behalf of Iranian intelligence, once he realized whom al-Mashhadani was working for, Abu al-Kiyan was not deterred from continuing to work with the Iranian agent, and even sought a meeting with al-Mashhadani’s handlers, though the meeting was never held.
On Monday, Southern District prosecutors filed serious indictments for contact with a foreign agent and passing information to the enemy against Abu al-Kiyan in the Southern District Court in Be’er Sheva.
The man, prominent Bedouin businessman Yakub Abu Al-Kiyan, was briefly a candidate for the Knesset in the runup to the March 23 election.
He is accused of making contact with a man called Haider and telling him he was in fact Iraqi. The two would hold regular phone correspondence, including via text and WhatsApp, first for business purposes and then in order to discuss political matters. Haider turned out to be Haider Al-Mashhadani, who is an agent working for the Iranian intelligence.
Haider, who denies any wrongdoing, allegedly boasted that he was close to the decision-makers in Israel because he was briefly placed in the Knesset candidate list of former Israel Defense Force chief Moshe Ya'alon and even posted pictures of various senior officials posing with him on social media. Haider was apparently intrigued by these posts and said that senior Iranians and Iraqis would like to meet him.
He would eventually, according to the indictment, provide Haider with information on Israeli security forces and on transactions between Israel and the US based on his relations with Israeli officials, with the goal of convincing the Iranian government to pay him.
Blame Game at the Apartheid State and Name Similarities:
Killing of Yacoub Abu Al-Qiaan, just another Bedouin
Yacoub Mousa Abu Al-Qia'an (also translit: al-Kiyan, Qi'an, Alkian, and al-Kaeean) was a 47-year-old Israeli Bedouin schoolteacher who was killed by the police while houses in his home village Umm al-Hiran were being demolished in January 2017. Following his killing, the police and several Israeli ministers, including Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, falsely accused Abu Al-Qia'an of having been a terrorist and affiliated with the Islamic State. In September 2020, Netanyahu apologized to Abu al-Qia'an's family, claiming that the police had misled him.
The police were not only faulted on for shooting Abu Al-Qia'an and then not providing medical assistance, thereby, allowing him to bleed to death but also for labeling him a terrorist without proof, for allegedly shooting a sponge-tipped bullet at the head of Arab-Israeli politician Ayman Odeh who was at the scene, and for suppressing evidence that would have cleared Abu Al-Qia'an.
Abu Al-Qia'an lived in the village of Umm al-Hiran in the Negev desert in southern Israel. Like the other villagers, Abu Al-Qia'an was a Bedouin. Bedouins have the lowest socioeconomic status of any group in Israel. Abu Al-Qia'an worked as a math teacher and was the first Israeli Bedouin with a PhD in chemistry.
The villagers in Umm al-Hiran belong to the Abu Alkian tribe. Israel undertook a program of relocating Negev Bedouins in the 1950s, causing the tribe to end up in the Wadi Atir area, northeast of Beersheba, in 1956. The tribe was allowed to settle there and it built two villages; Umm al-Hiran and Atir. Despite permitting the tribe to settle Umm al-Hiran, the authorities classifies it as an unrecognized Bedouin village, meaning that they consider it illegally built. For years they had tried to destroy the village to make room for two planned Jewish towns, Kesif and Hiran, and to transfer the villagers into the nearby Bedouin town Hura. Most of the villagers resisted the attempts to remove them from Umm al-Hiran.
On January 18, 2017 a demolition team, escorted by police, was scheduled to tear down Abu Al-Qia'an's house and other houses in Umm al-Hiran. A non-violent protest had been organized, by, among others, Ayman Odeh, leader of the Arab-dominated Joint List party, to meet the demolition team.
Before dawn, Wednesday January 18, 2017, the demolition team arrived at the village to carry out the demolitions. They were met by a large group of protesters.
According to a relative of Abu Al-Qia'an, he was sleeping when another relative of his called him to warn him about the imminent demolitions. He took the valuables out of his home and packed them into his SUV. He said he couldn't bear watching his home being razed and got in his car to drive away. At 5:57 am, as he was leaving, driving at a speed of less than 10 km/h, police shot at least four times at his car and hit him twice. The bullet wounds caused him to lose control of his car which accelerated, careened downhill and hit a group of police officers, killing 34-year-old 1st Sgt Erez Levi and moderately wounding another officer. The car came to a stop a few seconds later and its horn started blaring. Medical teams rushed around Levi, pronounced him dead, and attended to the wounded officer. A policeman opened the door of Abu Al-Qia'an's car and partially removed his body to stop the blaring, but he was otherwise left unattended, only 10 meters from the spot where his car had hit Levi. There, he bled to death while police prevented an ambulance from reaching him. According to the autopsy report, Abu Al-Qia'an was hit with two bullets; one in the right knee, shattering it, and one in an artery in his chest, causing his death due to blood loss about fifteen minutes later.
Odeh claimed that the police had used extreme levels of violence against the protestors. He was shot in the forehead and in the back with sponge-tipped bullets when he and other protestors tried to approach Abu Al-Qia'an's car and had to be taken to a hospital. The police falsely claimed that Odeh's head injury was caused by protesters throwing stones and accidentally hitting him.
During the day, five Arab-Israeli politicians, Hanin Zoabi, Jamal Zahalka, Osama Saadi, Ahmad Tibi, and Aida Touma-Sliman arrived in the village to show solidarity with the protesters. The police prevented everyone else from entering the village.
Another point of contention was over Odeh's head injury. He claimed that police had shot him in the forehead with a sponge-tipped bullet, and as he turned around in pain, another time in the back. The police disputed that and, initially, claimed that Odeh was hit with stray stones thrown by protestors and that the officers in Umm al-Hiran weren't even equipped with weapons firing sponge-tipped bullets. The police's story was refuted by a witness, Rabbi Arik Ascherman, who wrote:
I was an eyewitness to the attack on MK Ayman Odeh. He approached the police, with his hands in the air, and announced that he was an MK. Officers, undoubtedly furious, and even more aggressive than usual because a fellow officer had been struck, said that they didn't care. They began pushing and striking. Some officers began lashing out with their rifles. I and many others were pepper sprayed. Stumbling after Oudeh in retreat, sponge covered bullets whizzed past my ears. MK Oudeh was shot in the back by one of them, and fell to the ground.
The police later denied that any statement had ever been issued regarding the circumstances of Odeh's injury.
The report of a forensic probe into the Umm al-Hiran incident by the Abu Kabir Forensic Institute was released on January 31, 2017. Regarding Odeh's head injuries, it stated that "the injuries 'were consistent' with injuries caused by sponge-tipped bullets", though "t is not possible to nail down the form of the injurious objects, but at the same time, the location of the injury and the form could have been caused as claimed." Erdan hailed the report as a vindication, asserting that Odeh was a "lying lawbreaker who has fanned the flames and stood at the head of a violent group".
PIID opened an investigation into the matter after Odeh filed a complaint. But closed the investigation in September 2018 with the motivation that "ven with the assumption that the object that hit was fired by police, it could not be determined who of the officers had done so." Odeh appealed the closure of the investigation in March 2019.
In 2018, Forensic Architecture released a documentary about the killing of Abu Al-Qia'an called The Long Duration of a Split Second. The documentary was based on new evidence obtained by the Public Committee Against Torture in Israel and included body camera footage from the police officers. One of the police officers was heard shouting "Give them sponge! Give the sponge!" The following 47 seconds of the footage was redacted and the group believed that is when Odeh was shot. In conjunction with the release of the documentary, Weizman stated that both the policeman that shot Abu Al-Qia'an and the one that shot Odeh should be put on trial.
Forensic Architecture was nominated for the 2018 Turner Prize for their work relating to Al-Qia'an's killing.
--- ---

Read more from Source »

Related articles based on keyword density
Iran's Jewish community in Esfahan: We 'feel at home' - 12/03/2015 Culture
By Frederik Pleitgen, CNN Updated 1613 GMT (0013 HKT) March 11, 2015 Esfahan, Iran (CNN)If you're looking for the Jewish community in the Iranian town...View Details»

ISIS: The Spoils of the "Great Loot" in the Middle East - FPIF... 02/07/2014 Politics
Adding yet more warfare to the current crisis in the Middle East will perpetuate exactly what the imperial powers set out to do: tear an entire region...View Details»

Middle East - Security Council debates ending UN sanctions on Iran ... 13/03/2015 News
Major world powers have begun talks about a UN Security Council resolution to lift UN sanctions on Iran if a nuclear agreement is struck with Tehran, ...View Details»

Did an American Billionaire Philanthropist Play a Role in the Imprison... 28/11/2019 Nature
Murtaza Hussain November 27 2019, 4:30 p.m. In September 2017, a group of Iranian environmentalists working on Asiatic cheetah preservation with the P...View Details»

Israel Says It 'Will Not Stop' Attacking Iran in Syria, Escalates Camp... 30/04/2020 Military
Tom O'Connor The head of Israel's military appears to have acknowledged the country's involvement in recent strikes in Syria, warning a semi-secret ca...View Details»