On 25 July 1966, a cargo steamship later to be known as Greek Ship ran aground on the south-western coast of Kish in the Persian Gulf at position 26°31′34.13″N 53°54′29.11″ECoordinates: 26°31′34.13″N 53°54′29.11″E. The Dutch salvage tug Orinoco tried to refloat her but was unsuccessful. Her insurers declared Khoula F a total loss and she has remained beached ever since. Her condition has deteriorated and her stern has started to break up. The Greek Ship is the nickname of a cargo steamship, Khoula F, that has been beached on the southwest coast of Kish Island, Iran, since 1966. She was built in Britain by William Hamilton and Company in Port Glasgow, Scotland, who launched her on 9 March 1943 as Empire Trumpet and completed her in April 1943. From 1946 to 1966 she passed through a series of British and Iranian owners and various changes of name. Her final owners were Greek, and it is from them that she derives her nickname. Propulsion
Empire Trumpet had nine corrugated furnaces with a combined grate area of 165 square feet (15 m2) that heated three 220 lbf/in2 single-ended boilers with a combined heating surface of 7,248 square feet (673 m2). The boilers raised steam for her triple-expansion engine, which had cylinders of 24.5 inches (62 cm), 39 inches (99 cm) and 72 inches (180 cm) bore by 48 inches (120 cm) stroke and was rated at 510 NHP. The engine was built by David Rowan & Co Ltd of Glasgow.
Career Empire Trumpet's first owner was the British Ministry of War Transport, which placed her under the management of Larrinaga Steam Ship Co from 1943 and then T&J Harrison Co from 1945. She was chartered to the South African Government from 1943 to 1946. In 1946 Charente Steam Ship Co bought her, renamed her Naturalist and continued the management arrangement with T&J Harrison.
In 1959, Iranian Lloyd & Co Ltd of Khorramshahr bought her and renamed her PersianCyrus. Iranian Lloyd placed Perisan Cyrus under the management of B Ashworth and Co. (Overseas) Ltd of London. In 1965 Iranian Shipping Lines SA of Khorramshahr bought her and renamed her Hamadan. In 1966 P.J. Frangoulis and A.I. Cliafas of Greece bought the ship and renamed her Koula F. The Greek Ship attracts tourists who come to view her, specially at sunset on the Persian Gulf. ------ ...