(Wikipedia) - George Friedman George Friedman.
George Friedman (born 1949 in Budapest, Hungary) is an American political scientist and author. He is the founder, chief intelligence officer, financial overseer, and CEO of the private intelligence corporation STRATFOR. He has authored several books, including The Next 100 Years, The Next Decade, America''s Secret War, The Intelligence Edge, The Coming War With Japan and The Future of War. Contents
- 1 Biography
- 2 Personal life
- 3 Books
- 4 See also
- 5 References
- 6 External links
Friedman’s childhood was shaped directly by international conflict. He was born in Hungary to Holocaust survivors. His family fled Hungary when he was a child to escape the Communist regime, settling first in a camp for displaced persons in Austria and then immigrating to the United States, where he attended public schools in New York City, and was an early designer of computerized war games. Friedman describes his family’s story as “a very classic story of refugees making a new life in America." He received a B.A. at the City College of New York, where he majored in political science, and a Ph.D. in government at Cornell University.
Prior to joining the private sector, Friedman spent almost twenty years in academia, teaching political science at Dickinson College. During this time, he also regularly briefed senior commanders in the armed services as well as the Office of Net Assessments, SHAPE Technical Center, the U.S. Army War College, National Defense University and the RAND Corporation, on security and national defense matters.
Friedman pursued political philosophy with his early work focusing on Marxism, as well as international conflict, including examination of the U.S.-Soviet relationship from a military perspective. After the collapse of the Soviet Union, Friedman studied potential for a U.S.-Japan conflict and co-authored The Coming War with Japan in 1991. He is also the author or co-author of books examining topics as diverse as the Frankfurt School and warfare, including The Future of War, The Next Hundred Years, The Intelligence Edge, and America’s Secret War.
In 1996, he founded STRATFOR, a private intelligence and forecasting company, and has served as the company''s CEO and Chief Intelligence Officer. Stratfor''s head office is in Austin, Texas. Personal life
Friedman is married to Meredith Friedman (née LeBard), has four children, and lives in Austin, Texas. She has been Vicepresident of Stratfor for international relations and communication. She also coauthored several publications, e.g. "The Coming War with Japan". Books
- The Political Philosophy of the Frankfurt School (1981). Cornell University Press. ISBN 0-8014-1279-X.
- The Coming War With Japan, with Meredith LeBard (1991). St Martins Press. Reprint edition, 1992, ISBN 0-312-07677-0.
- The Future of War: Power, Technology and American World Dominance in the Twenty-First Century, with Meredith Friedman(1996). 1st ed., Crown Publishers, ISBN 0-517-70403-X. St. Martin''s Griffin, 1998, ISBN 0-312-18100-0.
- The Intelligence Edge: How to Profit in the Information Age with Meredith Friedman, Colin Chapman and John Baker (1997). Crown, 1st edition. ISBN 0-609-60075-3.
- America''s Secret War: Inside the Hidden Worldwide Struggle Between the United States and Its Enemies (2004). Doubleday, 1st ed, ISBN 0-385-51245-7. Broadway, reprint edition (2005). ISBN 0-7679-1785-5.
- The Next 100 Years: A Forecast for the 21st Century (2009). Doubleday. ISBN 0-385-51705-X.
- The Next Decade: What the World Will Look Like (2010). ISBN 0-385-53294-6.