(Wikipedia) - Tehran Zoological Garden
The Tehran Zoological Garden, also known as Eram Zoo, is located 4 kilometer on the Tehran - Karaj Expressway in the Eram amusement Park. This zoo covers an area of 5 hectares and was inaugurated in 1992, housing over more than 290 species. History
In old times of Iran, it was common to have small exhibitions of animals and birds for families in some houses; some times there were exhibitions in some parts of the cities. In 1637, Adam Olorius, the German traveler had mentioned seeing a zoo in Isfahan (Safavid empire capital). At Fat′h-Ali Shah Qajar''s era, around 1809, there used to be exhibitions of baboons, apes, snakes, bears and lions in Sabze meidan, Tehran. Also, there was a permanent exhibition of elephants at elephant house in Darolkhalafeh and the Indian elephants were used in especial occasions. In Qajar era, the first zoo was not established until Naser al-Din Shah Qajar established it at Lakhti Street (Sadi). It was small and few people were visiting it. Later, when Naser al-Din Shah Qajar traveled to Europe he was inspired by the modern zoological gardens. He established Tehran Zoological Garden at Doshan Tappeh where there was already a splendid Mansion established from 1853 containing a very beautiful lake using qanat as water source. It was built for Nassereddin Shah''s excursions and a collection of Shiraz lions, Mazandaran tiger, leopards, a cheetah, bears, hyenas, monkey, apes, baboons, Peafowl and Exhibits
Country''s largest zoo with 120 animal species from Iran and the world:
- Cats: African Lion, Bengal Tiger, African and Persian Leopard, Lynx, Hyena.
- Canine: Wolf, Jackal, Fox.
- Primates: Chimpanzee, Baboon, Rhesus Macaque, Gorilla.
- Bears: Brown Bear.
- Birds: Crane Crowned, Peacock, Pheasant, Pelican, Saker Falcon, Vulture, Eagle, Penguin.
- Reptiles and Amphibians: Python, Iran Plateau Short Snout Crocodile, Lizard, Iguana, Turtle.
- Marsupials: Kangaroo.
- Rodents: Porcupine, Persian Squirrel, Rabbit, Hamster.
- Fish: African Catfish.
- Equine: Asian Zebra, Persian Fallow Deer, Red Deer, Two-Thumped Camel
- Other: African Elephant
Tags:African, Bengal, Brown Bear, Deer, Doshan Tappeh, Europe, German, Iran, Isfahan, Karaj, Mazandaran, Persian, Persian Leopard, Plateau, Qajar, Safavid, Shah, Shiraz, Tehran, Tehran Zoological Garden, Wikipedia, Zoo