(Wikipedia) - Dariush Shayegan
داریوش شایگان Dariush Shayegan
| Shaygan in 2013 |
|(1935-02-02) 2 February 1935 (age 79) Tehran, Iran |
|University professor |
Dariush Shayegan (born 2 February 1935 in Tehran) (Persian: داریوش شایگان) is one of Iran''s prominent thinkers, cultural theorists and comparative philosophers. Contents
- 1 Life
- 2 Works
- 3 See also
- 4 References
- 5 External links
Shayegan studied at Sorbonne University in Paris. He was a Professor of Sanskrit and Indian religions at Tehran University.
He wrote a novel "Land of Mirage" in French which won the ADELF award presented by the Association of French Authors on December 26, 2004. Among Iranians who won the ADELF award prior to him Ahmad Kamyabi Mask and Javad Hadidi are notable. According to the Persian daily Aftab, Shayegan is well known in France for his books in the field of philosophy and mysticism.
Shayegan, who studied with Henry Corbin in Paris, also has many pioneering works on Persian mysticism and mystic poetry. He was a founding director of the Iranian Center for the Studies of Civilizations. In 1977, Shayegan initiated an international symposium on the "dialogue between civilizations," a concept that has been selectively appropriated by the former Iranian President Mohammad Khatami. In 2009 Shayegan was awarded the inaugural Global Dialogue Prize, an international award for "outstanding achievements in the advancement and application of intercultural value research", in recognition of his dialogical conception of cultural subjectivity (for a statement of the award committee and a scholarly presentation (including a fairly complete bibliography) of Shayegan''s contribution to intercultural dialogue, see the (copyrighted) webpages of this award.) Works
Main works by Shayegan:
- Hindouisme et Soufisme, une lecture du «Confluent des Deux Océans», Éditions de la Différence, Paris 1979, 2nd edition, Albin Michel, Paris
- Qu’est-ce qu’une révolution religieuse? Presses d’aujourd’hui, Paris 1982, deuxième édition, Bibliothèque Albin Michel des idées, Paris,1991.
- Le regard mutilé, Schizophrénie culturelle : pays traditionnels face à la modernité, Albin English Translation : Cultural Schizophrenia, Islamic Societies Confronting the West, Translated from the French by John Howe, Saqi books, London 1992. Also published by Syracuse University Press, 1997.
- Henry Corbin, La topographie spirituelle de l’Islam iranien, Éditions de la Différence, Paris, 1990
- Les illusions de l’identité, Éditions du Félin, Paris, 1992
- Sous les ciels du monde, Entretiens avec Ramin Jahanbegloo, Éditions du Félin,1992
- Au-delà du miroir, Diversité culturelle et unité des valeurs, Editions de l’Aube, 2004
- La lumière vient de l’Occident, Le réenchantement du monde et la pensée nomade, L’aube, essai. Paris, 2001, troisième édition, 2005, quatriéme édition, essai poche, 2008
- Terre de mirages, avec la collaboration de Maryam Askari, La collection Regards croisés, Éditions de l’Aube, Paris, 2004
Works on Shayegan:
- Mehrzad Borujerdi : Iranian Intellectuals and the West, Syracuse University Press, 1996
- Afsaneh Gächter, Daryush Shayegan, interkulturell gelesen, Interkulturelle Bibliothek, Traugott Bautz, Nordhausen 2005
Tags:Afsaneh, Aftab, Dariush, Dariush Shayegan, France, French, Iran, Iranian, Islam, Islamic, Khatami, Life, London, Mohammad Khatami, Paris, Persian, President, Sanskrit, Sorbonne, Tehran, Tehran University, Wikipedia